Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Hush-Hush Handspun Hootenanny questionnaire

Hush-Hush Handspun Hootenanny questionnaire.

1. How long have you been spinning? What skill level do you consider yourself?

I started spinning the end of February this year. I’m still a beginner but I see a huge difference in the last two months. Most people can’t believe I’ve only been spinning a few months but I try to spin daily to gain more constancy. I’m spinning more “long draw” now and enjoying the fine fibers.

2. What kinds of yarn do you create (singles/2-ply/3-ply/art yarn)?

I’ve only spun 2 and 3 ply yarns so far. I really only spin what I want to knit so it’s mostly fingering to DK weight

3. What do you spin with (spindle/wheel/both)?

I have both but I spin mostly on the wheel. I’m taking a business trip soon and I’ll bring the drop spindle to spin with while I’m gone.

4. What are your favorite fibers to spin with? Anything you don't like?

My favorite is Optim and Cormo. The Optim is like silk and the Cormo is the softest wool in my stash.

I don’t like rough, itchy, scratchy fiber like Corriedale, Romney, Jacob, etc.

5. Who are your favorite crack dealers fiber sources (etsy or otherwise)?

I have three fleeces that I purchased from Rupperts Corriedales & Cormos and my favorite supplier of dyed roving is Lori Lawson. It’s hard to pick favorites because I have purchased from so many with good results from most of them.

6. What kind of fiber do you want to try?

Vicuna, Guanaco, Qiviut,Yak, Baby Camel/Silk

7. Is there any techniques you would like to learn?

I’m learning the Paula Simmons Spin for speed and softness method and I’m taking a speed spinning class this August. Spinning is very relaxing but I want to relax faster lol

8. Do you dye fiber? If not, would you like to learn?

We purchased a steamer and have had good success so far. This Sat. is my spinning guilds dye fest and I’m bringing so much to experiment between the three workshops planned.

9. Do you have fiber prep tools (and like to use them) or would you prefer ready to spin fiber?

I plan to purchase a Pat Green “Beverly” drum carder this week if everything works out. I don’t plan to process fleece because I live in a condo and I don’t want to worry about the VM and lanolin in the pipes. I figure a couple combs may be in the future too.


10. What do you do with your handspun? What projects have you completed?

I’ve gifted most of the handspun so far. Swap pals have received some and my wife is getting the latest singles after I ply them hopefully tonight.

11. Are you in need of any spinning gadgets (WPI Gauge, threading hook, etc)?

I’m a guy, I love the tools but I’m looking at a bobbin winder right now. Next is a squirrel cage and an electric skein winder. My wheel has a Delta orifice so it doesn’t require a threading hook. I have what I need and I buy what I want when the need arises.

12. What colors "fall into your shopping basket"? Any colors you just can't stand?

I’m always drawn to the monochromatic colors and deep purples are my favorites. I’ve been edging closer to the ruby red – pink – vermillion lately. Cobalt blues and sea foam greens look nice too. I dislike muddy browns, oranges and yellows. Pastels are low on the list with army greens or any faded tweedy colors.

13. What is on your wheel/spindle right now?


I spun a sample ½ ounce of my vermillion hand dyed Cormo and I love it.

14. What other crafts/hobbies do you have?

I see them as other obsessions….. Music, Guitars, We’re looking at learning archery.

15. Other than crafts, what are you passionate about?

I rarely do things half way. If you know me, you’ve seen the zero to a hundred miles an hour emersion curve.

16. Do you have an online wishlist?

I have an Amazon list on my blog.

17. Is there anything that you collect?

I don’t collect for the sake of collecting like coins or stamps. I enjoy rare music from selected bands & artist, autographed books and music when I get to meet the artist or author.

18. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What magazine subscriptions do you have?

If I want something I usually find it and buy it. I just subscribed to Spin off so I can read the adverts and such. Most of the magazines are geared toward styles that don’t fit my goals but I do enjoy leafing through the knit/spin/guitar magazines at Barnes & Noble

19. When is your birthday?

October 5th

20. What book or movie character do you most resemble in personality?

I don’t know any characters that weird.

21. What is the climate like where you live around this time (need to know for careful shipments of anything meltable)?

22. Tell us one weird fact about yourself!

I cook most of the meals and many dishes that I would ever eat or even taste. My wife she says it’s weird how I can make something taste so good without ever knowing what it’s supposed to taste like.

Favorites
favorite painting/picture(link):I love sunsets at the beach. Different ones, each day is prettier than the last.

Candy: Reese’s sticks

Food: Mexican, or fresh seafood

Drink: Dr. Pepper or Cherry Coke

Movie(s): That Thing You do, Shall We Dance

TV Show(s):Weeds, Dead Like Me, House

Book(s): Lee Child Novels

Guilty Pleasure(s): 50’s doo wop music, Window shopping or clothes shopping for my wife even if we are just looking. I love to see the glow when she tries on a new outfit and she likes how it looks.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, Dead Like me! I loved that show! I'll watch anything with Mandy Patinkin in it though :-) I was sad when it was cancelled....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:24 PM

    Awww, you DO love me! :) Hey, all this talk about shopping makes me wanna go you know! Happy spinning sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, your wife is a lucky, lucky woman! Glad to have you in the swap!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment here